“Observe the RULE of ONE and YOUR. One word. One question. One page. One project. Once a month. Once a week. Once a day. This is where you truly choose your path and choose what you can handle because it is – Your time. Your rules. Your progress. Your creation. Your journal. Your art. You’re the only you. You’re the one you!”
ONE WORD: Write/create/art about one word. Write the letters over and over. Define it. Scribble it. Write it with the other hand. Write it backwards upside down or sideways.
ONE QUESTION: Answer the question or statement with words or collage or colors. It doesn’t have to make sense to anyone but you and it doesn’t even have to be legible.
- What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
- If nothing could stop you, money, time, etc – what would you do?
- Think of one of your proudest moments – what made you so proud of you?
- What convinced you to commit to the biggest committment in your life (job, relationship, child, etc.)
- If you could have sheets made of anything in the world what would it be and why?
- If you could live inside someone else’s brain for a week who would it be and what would you hope to learn?
- What makes you lovable?
- What is one thing you still regret? Is holding that regret helping or hurting you?
- What is your biggest fear? How can you reframe that fear?
ONE PAGE: My journals are often two-page spread. However, depending on the size of your paper you may want to only use a half or even a third. With one page you allow yourself permission to take on all the blank space and fill it or not. Just as there is power in silence there is power in white/blank space. Journal/art about anything on one page.
- Represent your day.
- Represent your dinner.
- Talk about your blessings/gratitudes.
- Talk about what went right today, this week, during that meeting/conversation.
- Mention something you wish you said or did differently. How could you improve? What makes is fine just the way it happened?
- Mention what you are most satisfied with today.
YOUR TIME. Take some time and make it yours just for creating. Start with a little time and work your way up. Use a timer – 10 minutes. 30 minutes. Things can wait for that little bit of time for YOU.
YOUR RULES. Adjust everything you read here to fit into your way of doing things. Into your rules. You are reading this because you have an urge to change something. They way you do it is up to you. You make the rules and standards to measure and grow.
YOUR PROGRESS. Comparison leads to dissatisfaction. It is great to have goals. But only measure you against you. When you compare your progress to another’s you run the risk of derailing your growth. So imagine the best YOU and only gauge progress by your capabilities.
YOUR CREATION. Anything and everything you make is your creation. If it’s dinner or coloring with your children in a coloring book. It is still yours. Sign your name. Take your credit. Be proud of your creation.
YOUR JOURNAL. There are a lot of art journal books and blogs and workshops. They are fantastic. They are available. But your journal is personal to you. It doesn’t need to nor should it look like anyone else’s journal. Just let it be your journal in all its individual glory.
YOUR ART. Don’t let one single person tell you that what you are doing is not art. THEY ARE WRONG. Love what you make. Be proud of your art. It is as unique as you. You are just right so is your art.